Saturday, November 14, 2009

The kit arrives

On Tuesday the 10th, I finally got the call I'd been waiting for: the delivery truck driver wanting directions (and confirmation that I was available to receive the box(es)). Fortunately, I normally work from my home, so I was as ready as one can be.

I arranged to meet the truck at the top of my driveway, which is a bit under 1/4 mile, narrow and steep in places. The delivery truck would've been able to make it (UPS does all the time), but as I wanted to receive the kit into the bed of my pickup anyway, it seemed a reasonable way to proceed.

The box is 8' long, about 3 1/2 ' wide and maybe 10" deep -- plywood screwed to framing lumber. The delivery truck has a tailgate lift, and I'm able to back up and place my pickup tailgate right under the delivery truck's lift. Between us, we manage to push the box into the bed of my truck, where it just fits.

There are also a couple of cardboard boxes: epoxy and fiberglass, also from B&B.

Now: the whole point of receiving the kit into my truck is that I can drive over the grass and back up to the sliding glass door of my walk-in basement.

I had tentatively arranged with a neighbor to help me shift the box into the basement, but the weather is fine (and I'm a little eager) so at lunch, I go down with my cordless drill, disassemble the box right in the bed of the truck, and carry the pieces of the kit into the basement a few at a time...takes about 45 min. Here's what most of the kit looks like, roughly sorted into heaps on the floor where I'll be doing the building:
On Wednesday (Veteran's Day) I spent much of the day just sorting things, going over the plans some more, etc. Also built a table using some of the lumber from the kit box and a couple of 2x4's -- then bolted my new miter saw to one end, and stapled plastic on the other end, to make an epoxy mixing station. (I'm not sure these two uses are compatible...we'll see.) I concluded with another trip to Lowes, where I got lumber and heavy-duty casters for the cradle, and a couple of sheets of cheap 1/2" plywood, to lay on the floor for the first gluing (more later).

Man, I was beat...and I still haven't "really" started building the boat!

No comments:

Post a Comment